Born Najib-ur-Rehman in Bakhshan Khan, Chishtian Tehsil, District Bahawalnagar, Pakistan on August 19, 1959 (14 Safar 1379 AH) Wednesday at 4:30 am. His pious parents Abdul Hameed and Kaneez Fatimah were migrants to Pakistan after partition. Abdul Hameed was extremely devoted towards worships. He recited the Holy Quran from midnight till dawn and invoked Allah’s name. He worked different jobs like cultivation, bookkeeping and shopkeeping. Kaneez Fatimah, his beloved mother, had immense love for the People of Cloak (Ahl al-Bayt). She also revered the Saint, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and had great influence on Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman’s nature, life and personality. Moreover, he physically resembles his mother.
Titles of Sultan ul Ashiqeen
Destined to shine on the horizon of Faqr, Sufism, spirituality and mysticism therefore he has all the attributes of a Sarwari Qadri Murshid. Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman is on the footsteps of Prophet Mohammad sall’Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wasallam and his perfect lovers. This section is an attempt to describe his charismatic, striking and startling personality along with a short biography and struggle. Though who have been in his servitude know fully well that words always fall short.
1. Sultan ul Ashiqeen
In Sarwari Qadri order, the Mohammadan Assembly grants titles to every Sarwari Qadri Murshid. The basis of title is one of his special attributes which distinguishes him. This attribute dominates and has the most influence upon the Saint’s life.
The title Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen means ‘the Sultan of Divine lovers’. Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman is the Sultan of lovers of Allah. He spent his entire life in the love of Allah, the Holy Prophet and the beloved Saints. He is also granting the blessing of Divine love to his disciples and seekers.
This title means ‘the reflection of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani’ or ‘the living portrait of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani’. Similar to Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani, he is reviving and reforming the spirit of Islam after adorning the throne of Divine guidance and persuasion. Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani became the reviver of Islam in the beginning of second millennium while Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman has emerged as the reviver of Islam in the beginning of third millennium. Moreover some similarities with Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani are:
- The signs experienced by mother of Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen when she was bearing him;
- His attractive and illuminating personality, and predictions of a Fakir about him during his childhood;
- Working hard to earn livelihood since young age due to poverty;
- Being favourite of the teachers due to extraordinary intelligence;
- Starting the mystic struggle to find the Truth in early age;
- Spent very short period in the company of his Murshid (only five years);
- Also faced the same materialism, sectarianism and religious deterioration that existed in the age of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
- His struggle to end the heretic evils.
He gained the invocation of beautiful names of Allah as well as the inspirational knowledge from Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
‘Sun of Faqr’ because he has made immense efforts to spread Faqr in the world.
The glory of Faqr. He has made the glory of all the leaders of Sarwari Qadri order known in the world. He is called ‘sun of Faqr’ in heavens and ‘the glory of Faqr’ on the earth.
The Sultan of invokers of Hoo (ھُو). It is associated to his marvel that he grants all his disciples the king of invocations Hoo (ھُو) immediately after they pledge allegiance to him.
It means Sultan of spiritual travellers.
Early Signs of Sainthood
A few of them are:
- Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman’s mother narrated a dream she had when she was carrying him. She said:
“I dreamt during the pregnancy that the full moon has risen very early in the evening and its light is dazzling. Furthermore, the full moon after some time turned into the sun which eliminated all the darkness and it rose exactly from above my house. The sun reached in the middle while travelling the sky. At once it burst and its light spread everywhere in both the realms. When I woke up, I understood that the dream was about the expected blessed baby.”
- Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman’s mother related that a Dervish often visited her house every couple of months. Once he came after the birth of Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman. She showed him the new born and asked to pray for him. At the moment, that spiritually absorbed Dervish was sitting on the ground. As soon as his sight caught the light of the baby’s forehead, he suddenly stood up. He kissed his forehead and told her, “Sister keep the baby’s forehead covered. If the devils read it, they would create problems for you. However, they would not be able to harm the baby. Despite their lame efforts, he will definitely achieve his destination. Unfortunately, you would not live long enough to see his wealth and spiritual heights.”
- His mother revealed that one night she saw Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani in her dream and he said about Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman:
“He is mine. He is my reflection. I would inquire you about him.”
He was not like an ordinary child. His mother related that he did not like to indulge in childish activities. He spent most of his time in studies and serving his parents.
Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman started his education from Depalpur, Okara District, Pakistan. He has God gifted qualities and wisdom. In spite of the family financial crisis, he completed the Quranic and other religious education very soon. He completed matriculation from Government High School Depalpur, Okara District.
Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman always has a great love for Allah and His Prophet Mohammad. Since childhood he found peace and spiritual tranquillity in getting religious knowledge. Not only the Holy Quran but also other books about Islam and Islamic history have his utmost attention. He had an intellectually curious nature that was always eager to know more about religion and spirituality. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen got a lot of Islamic knowledge without any teacher, merely by reading books.
He is very talented and began to write essays in the children section of newspapers during his fifth standard. His essays were published in the children’s editions of renowned newspapers such as Roznama (Daily) Wafaq Lahore, Roznama Masawat Lahore, Roznama Mashriq Lahore and Roznama Imroze Lahore.
Due to family’s financial problems since his childhood, he could not continue his education regularly. He had to freeze his education off and on to help his father in earning. Even in such crucial conditions, he did intermediate in 1980 and graduation in 1983 in first division as a private student alongside part time jobs.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman worked in District Office Okara as a clerk for some time. He got a government job in 1985 in Lahore. Hence, he migrated to Lahore on April 12, 1985 and this migration proved to be a blessing. This is when Allah opened all avenues of financial comfort and worldly delight on him.
Search for Divine Truth
The precise moment that changed the direction of Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman to search for the Truth and Reality was the death of his beloved daughter Tabeena at the age of seven. About which he says that he could not get inner peace anymore and the restlessness of his soul kept him uncomfortable. Moreover, the worldly wealth seemed totally worthless and considered this wealth useless since it could not save his dear daughter. The demand of the eternal and real wealth, the nearness of Allah had intensified. He started spending most of his time in worships and devotions to Allah.
Spiritual Oath of Allegiance
It was the night of 12th April 1997, Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman had offered Tahajjud (late night) prayer. He was reciting salawat (sending peace and blessings upon the Holy Prophet). Suddenly his spiritual self enlightened and he found himself in the Mohammadan Assembly. There he saw the eternal Divine light, the Holy Prophet sitting in the middle. Seated on his right side were Ali ibn Abi Talib, Hasan and Husayn ibn Ali. While on his left were Abu Bakr, Umar ibn Khattab, Usman ibn Affan and the leaders of the four mystic orders. Among them Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen was stunned with awe and majesty of the Assembly. He was about to collapse with surprise and fear. Meanwhile Ali ibn Abi Talib stepped ahead and held him by taking his hand in his own.
Ali presented him before the Holy Prophet, letting him sit by the sacred feet of the Prophet. Then he said to the Prophet, “Respected! He is Najib-ur-Rehman. He is your slave and the spiritual son of your dear daughter (Fatimah-tuz-Zahra). She has selected him to grant the legacy (of Faqr). For your approval, she has presented him to your court.”
OATH | BAYAH
Listening this, Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen bowed at Prophet Mohammad’s sacred feet who is indeed the beloved lord of both the worlds. The Holy Prophet acknowledged that his dear daughter has recommended him. Prophet Mohammad added, “I have accepted him as well.” Then he said, “Now he is our spiritual son but the legacy of which son may be granted to him?” Imam Hasan requested, “Respected grandfather! Mother has asked to grant him my legacy.”
Thereafter the Holy Prophet held Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen from his shoulders, gently lifted him from his feet and said:
“You are my spiritual son and heir. Verily one day you will benefit a whole era. Also we would make you our manifestation. As you have pleased my dear daughter, thus I am pleased with you.”
The Holy Prophet stretched his hands towards him for oath of allegiance. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen held the sacred hands of the Prophet and pledged allegiance. The Holy Prophet looked at the spiritual guides of the four orders and said to Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani, “His spiritual training is now your responsibility.”
PHYSICAL OATH OF ALLEGIANCE
After completing his training Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani ordered Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen to search for a living spiritual guide in January 1998. For this purpose, he visited different places and met a lot of guides. Not only had he travelled within Lahore but also in other cities. None satisfied him.
In February 1998, he saw a man with an enlightened face in his dream. The man said to him, “Come my son, I am waiting for you.” On waking up, Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman was surprised and then started his quest for that awe-inspiring face. Many days passed by but his search could not meet the destination. Even he did not receive any sign from Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
Later on, in March 1998, he dreamt about the same spectacular face (of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali). This time that enlightened man opened an old box from which a golden Ism-e-Allah Zaat emerged high. It started shining near his sacred head like the bright sun. Then he said, “Son! You have struggled a lot and suffered through many hardships. Now come to me.” While pointing to Ism-e-Allah Zaat, he said, “I have this Trust of yours. And I have been waiting for you for long to entrust it to you.”
After being spiritually guided by both Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and Sultan Bahoo he visited the shrine of Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz (situated near Sultan Bahoo’s shrine). There he found a huge crowd outside the room of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI. After waiting a lot, he got permission of meeting. As soon as he entered the room, he saw the same charming face of his dream. He felt as if he had found the treasure of both the worlds. A moment covered the distance of centuries and there remained no question unanswered.
AS A SEEKER OF ALLAH
Success in Faqr is only possible through Divine love. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen’s Divine love for his spiritual guide Sultan-ul-Faqr VI was so intense that he almost forgot his own existence. In other words, all his friendships, relations and worldly matters lost their significance. His main concern was only the comfort and happiness of his Murshid. He was ready to sacrifice his entire wealth. Merely one smile or a glance of love from his spiritual guide meant the whole world to him. A few of the services performed by Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman for his spiritual guide are:
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI assigned Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen the auspicious service of getting the gold as well as the regular Ism-e-Allah Zaat made. He performed this service throughout the remaining life of his spiritual guide.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali also ordered him to prepare the gold Ism-e-Mohammad.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI assigned Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen the duty of publishing the monthly magazine Mirat-ul-Arifeen Lahore. He had no experience of journalism yet he performed it with sincerity and diligence. He also made him the chief editor of the magazine due to his outstanding performance and popularity among readers.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI assigned Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen the responsibility to establish the publishing department Maktaba al-Arifeen of his organization. The goal was to spread the teachings of Faqr through publications. He performed that duty also with a great zeal and dedication. This department published the following books:
- Guldasta Abyat-o-Taleemat Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo
- Murshid Kamil
- Abyat-o-Swaneh Hayat Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo
- Shan Sultan-ul-Faqr Ma’a Risala Roohi Sharif
- Haqeeqat-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat
- Guldasta Abyat-o-Munajaat Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Pir Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah
- Tareeqat kia hy
These books gained much popularity. He supervised Maktaba al-Arifeen till the death of his spiritual guide.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen converted his residence of Education Town to Lahore office of his beloved Murshid’s organization.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen not only established Maktaba al-Arifeen but also added its office to the same residence.
- He also devoted adjacent 211 yards (seven marlas) land to extend the offices.
Now his Education Town residence is serving as khanqah and office of Tehreek Dawat-e-Faqr (Registered) since October, 2009.
- During the life of his spiritual guide, he was given the responsibility of treasury of his guide’s organization.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI made Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen the patron in chief of Lahore office of the organization. To spread the beneficence of Faqr Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen chose a different approach. In addition to going to mosques, he also went to markets and malls. He preached Faqr among common people due to which Faqr spread quickly. Every week a bus full of eager devotees went to Jhang from Lahore to meet his guide. They pledged allegiance to him and got Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen performed countless financial services for his spiritual guide. These included arrangements for celebrating Mawlid al Nabawi and all other programs. He also prepared sacred sheet for the shrine of Sultan Abdul Aziz every year.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen performed many other personal services which are not mentioned fully just to be precise. A few of them are as follows:
- He regularly and with love and sincerity would prepare dresses of pure fabric in elegant colours along with footwear for his guide throughout the year.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen constructed a special room in his new house for the stay of his guide during his visits to Lahore.
- He also took entire responsibility of his beloved guide’s medicines.
- Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman paid for a horse his Murshid bought, up to the amount which went short in purchasing.
- He bought a car for his spiritual guide because he could not see the inconvenience his guide was facing in the old car without an air-conditioner.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman paid custom duty of another car for his guide.
- He bought 6.5 acres land for the shrine of Sultan Abdul Aziz, the father and spiritual guide of Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen got air-conditioners installed in the rooms of his spiritual guide.
- He presented a gun for the safety of his guide.
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen sold his own car to meet the expenses of hajj for his Murshid as well as for some other disciples.
There are countless incidents of his devotion towards his spiritual guide.
SULTAN-UL-ASHIQEEN AS THE SARWARI QADRI SPIRITUAL LEADER
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali bestowed the Divine Trust and the superior spiritual succession to Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen. He said to him before death:
“I entrust you Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad. It is your responsibility to spread their beneficence.”
Since then he has taken avant-garde steps by granting the final stage of invocation (Sultan-ul-Azkar, Hoo) to disciples all over the world. Previously invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat was granted in four steps.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen also provides spiritual leadership to Allah’s men through his books and persuades and instructs his disciples both inwardly and outwardly through his words of wisdom. The seekers of Allah assemble in his spiritual gatherings where he quenches their thirst of gnosis of Allah. Certainly he has Divinely inspired knowledge.
He blesses his seekers with the beneficence of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, Ism-e-Mohammad, Divine vision, presence of Mohammadan Assembly, ilm-e-dawat, waham and so much more. These are a few of his spiritual blessings.
Physical steps taken by him are discussed in the next section.
TEHREEK DAWAT-E-FAQR, THE ORGANIZATION OF SULTAN-UL-ASHIQEEN
Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman established Tehreek Dawat-e-Faqr on Friday, 23rd October 2009 (3rd Dhul al-Qadah, 1430 AH) to spread Faqr. It is a registered organization, completely non-political, non-governmental and non-sectarian. People associated to it belong to the Sarwari Qadri order. It promotes the school of thought of Sufi Saints such as Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and Sultan Bahoo.
The organization has rules and regulations, manifesto and constitution drafted by Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman himself.
Its main departments are:
- Department to invite and preach.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr Publications: This department publishes a monthly magazine in Urdu, Sultan-ul-Faqr and to date has published more than sixty-eight books and many are in process. Most importantly, if you say it is a research organization of Sufi teachings especially of Sultan Bahoo then it is right as well.
- Department of Website Development: To spread the message of Faqr world-wide, Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen established this department. It has created eighteen websites to date.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr Digital Productions: This department is responsible to spread the teachings of Faqr through audios and videos by many websites as well as Youtube, Dailymotion, Facebook, IGTV, Tune videos, Soundcloud, Tiktok, Likee and Snack.
- Social Media Department: Social Media department of Tehreek Dawat-e-Faqr is spreading teachings of Faqr through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, LinkedIn, Reddit and Tumblr.
- Treasury Department: This department collects funds and provides them to be spent on different projects of Tehreek Dawat-e-Faqr. Moreover funds for arrangements of weekly, monthly and annual gatherings as well as making of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad are also provided by it.
- Lodging and Food Department: This department arranges for lodging of disciples and seekers of Allah who come from different cities. It also provides food for them round the clock and whole year.
KHANQAH SULTAN UL ASHIQEEN
Khanqah of Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is a blessed place where many seekers of Allah gather for invoking Allah’s name and under the supervision of Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman are working day and night to spread the teachings of Faqr. Furthermore you will be surprised to know that these seekers do not hold degrees in Islamic studies rather are from different walks of life. They have extreme devotion for Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen and he loves them like his family. All of them gather at khanqah after office, college or university hours and come together for the sole purpose of spreading Faqr and Sufism around the globe.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman holds many annual gatherings e.g. Mawlid un Nabi, commemorating martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali and death anniversary of Sarwari Qadri Saints. A special ceremony of Mawlid is held on 21st March annually by his disciples as it is the blessed day when Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen was bestowed with the Divine Trust.
He also visits cities and villages outside Lahore to spread the beneficence of Ism-e-Allah Zaat despite the fact that now age is taking its toll. Many non-Muslims have accepted Islam on his hand and seekers of Allah all over the world are getting his beneficence as his spiritual authority has no boundaries.
BOOKS OF SULTAN-UL-ASHIQEEN
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman is exceptionally brilliant. He has written twenty-four books in Urdu language with not only beautiful diction and eloquence but also with the message of peace and serenity. English translation of many of his books is available and few are in process.
This list of books go as:
(English title: Sufism-The Soul of Islam)
2) Mujtaba Akhar Zamani
(English title: The Spiritual Guides of Sarwari Qadri Order)
3) Haqeeqat e Mohammadia
(English title: The Mohammadan Reality)
4) Murshid Kamil Akmal
(English title: The Perfect Spiritual Guide)
5) Haqeeqat-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat
(English title: The Divine Reality of Ism-e-AllahZaat)
6) Haqeeqat-e-Eid Milad un Nabi
(English title: Mawlid al-Nabi)
7) Risala Roohi Sharif-Tarjuma aur Sharah
(English translation: Risala Roohi Sharif English Translation and Exegesis)
8) Hayat o Taleemat Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali
(English translation: Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali- Life and Teachings)
9) Sawane Hayat Syed Abdullah Shah Madni Jilani
(English translation: Life History of Sultan ul Tarikeen)
10) Sultan Bahoo
(English title: Sultan Bahoo)
11) Syed-ul-Shuhada Hazrat Imam Hussain Razi Allah Anhu Aur Yazidiet
(English title: Imam Hussain and Yazid)
12) Nafs kay Nasoor
(English title: Purification of Innerself in Sufism)
13) Tazkiya e Nafs ka Nabwi (SAW) Tareeq
(English title: The Prophetic Way of Purgation of Innerself)
14) Haqeeqat e Namaz
(English title: The Spiritual Reality of Prayer)
15) Haqeeqat e Zakat
(English title: The Spiritual Reality of Zakat)
16) Haqeeqat e Roza
(English title: The Spiritual Reality of Fast)
17) Haqeeqat e Hajj
(English title: The Spiritual Reality of Hajj)
18) Hayat-o-Taleemat Syedna Ghaus ul Azam
19) Kalam Mashaikh Sarwari Qadri
20) Khulfae Rashideen
21) Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil
23) Faqr-e-Iqbal and
24) Fazayal Ahl-e-Bayt aur Sahaba Karam Razi Allah anhum
From 18 onwards, books are in process of translation. All books are available in libraries also.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman is wise, practical, spiritual, intellectual, genius and modern. Rather he possesses every attribute ‘the Universal Divine Man’ (al-Insan al-Kamil) can possess as described by all the Saints and especially by Imam Husayn ibn Ali in his book Mirat-ul-Arifeen. Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman is an absolute light within as he is on the footsteps of Prophet Mohammad sall’Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wasallam.